The FTC's website is a storehouse of information about the Commission’s activities. The site contains consumer information, business guidance, economic reports and analysis, speeches, press releases, and other documents created by the FTC. If the information you are seeking is on the FTC's public record, a formal FOIA request is not necessary.
Finding Information Without Filing a FOIA Request
If the information you are seeking is on the FTC's public record, a formal FOIA request is not necessary. You can take these steps to find the FTC information you’re seeking:
- Visit the FOIA Reading Room to view the many FTC records already requested.
- Browse or search the FTC website for consumer guidance and law enforcement actions. The site is keyword searchable and features information that the Commission currently places on its public record, so it is your best source for FTC public records.
- For documents older than 1997, contact the FTC’s Office of the Secretary email@example.com; (202) 326-3297.
How to Make a FOIA Request
You can submit a request in any one of the following methods listed below, but submitting the request online is the most efficient method.
- Submit your request online.
- Fax your request to (202) 326-2477.
- Send your request via postal mail to the address below. See sample templates for a FOIA Request Letter and a FOIA Appeal Letter.
Freedom of Information Act Request
Office of General Counsel
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580
Expedited Processing of FOIA Requests
We generally process requests in the order in which they are received. However, you may request expedited handling of your request if you believe there is a compelling need for a more rapid response. To qualify for expedited processing, you must show that: (1) failure to obtain the records quickly could pose an imminent threat to the life or safety of a specific individual; or (2) your primary job is to disseminate information and there is an urgency to inform the public about actual or alleged Federal government activity. A FOIA officer will respond to your request for expedited treatment within ten calendar days of receiving it to let you know whether the request has been granted. If expedited treatment is granted, the request will be processed as soon as practicable.
FOIA Request Logs
- Pending FOIA Requests (as of 07/17/2019) (203.46 KB)
- Closed FOIA Requests (as of 07/17/2019) (625.31 KB)
The FOIA allows the FTC to charge fees to process your FOIA request. If we estimate that the fees for processing your request will exceed $25, we will not begin to process it without your permission. You may indicate in your FOIA request the amount of fees you are willing to pay or wait for us to contact you to discuss the possible fees. We cannot begin to process your request until we come to an agreement on fees.
FOIA Requester Service Center: (202) 326-2430FTC FOIA Public Liaison:
Richard Gold, (202) 326-3355
Email your FOIA comments to FOIAcomments@ftc.gov.